This project took me several weeks to get done, mostly because I did about an hour a day, while my kids were napping. I did a grand total of about seven trips to Home Depot to buy the retaining wall bricks to put in the back of my Sequoia. The hardest part of doing a retaining wall is getting the wall to be level; so, I had to use a level to make sure that each and every brick was perfectly flat and level. Wow - not for the faint-at-heart!
Then I found a guy on craigslist who was giving away fill dirt for free! He even brought the truckload to my house for me. Yea! So, then I spent several hours moving the dirt from the tarp on the lawn to behind the new retaining wall. When all of that was finally done, I was delighted to have a whole new area for gardening and putting in new plants! (I have realized this summer that I am really a gardening fanatic... does this mean I am getting old?)
My dad was in town and helped me put in the three big plants on the back row (thanks, pop!). Greg also helped me put in some landscape lighting so that the Japanese Maple in the back row now has a light on it. My neighbor Sue was a delightful help, too, as she helped me get out lots of roots, and also loaned me a stash of gardening tools!
Now, I get to kick back and watch it grow! Check out the pictures at the bottom where you can se the "before" photos - it was ugly! The laurel tree was totally overgrown, so I had to trim that back a few feet, then I also pressure washed the fence, and spent a few hours pulling out all of those yucky roots. I told you this was a lot of work! And I did 97% of it myself! Now... can someone buy me a massage and hand me a beer??
1 comment:
Jackie, it certainly is gorgeous! You handy, handy woman. Let me know if you ever want to dump Greg and marry me. I have plenty of projects for you.
Post a Comment