Thursday, June 11, 2009

A trip to the Fire Dept..

I have recently been trying to do more 1:1 activities with the kids. So, today I took Andrew away for an hour, to visit our local Bellevue Fire Department. It is at the bottom of our hill, so we just walked and I boldly knocked on the door that said "Call 911 for Emergencies, or contact us via this phone." Well, it wasn't quite an emergency that we see a real fire engine, but they were certainly kind enough to let us in for a quick tour.

Andrew got a chance to sit in the big engine, play with the hoses, and spin a few wheels. Then the nice firemen gave him his own fire hat. I am not entirely sure he knew what was going on the whole time, but he liked it.

I then took him to his second activity, which I guarantee he liked better: sitting on the side of road near a big intersection, watching cars go by. Sound boring? Nope!! Not with Drew! We sat there in the grass with Drew in my lap, for at least 35 minutes. We rejoiced over every motorcycle, big truck, police car, and racecar that drove by. We worked on our colors, counted the cars at the stop light, and waved at people. When I finally said "Time to go, buddy," Andrew literally burst into tears and kept saying "more car, more car, more car..." It was so precious!




No comments: