Monday, April 19, 2010

An amazing organization

Last week I was lucky enough to get a 48 hour break from my current life, and head south to Orange County, California. Why? Well, I have recently been asked to join the Board of Directors for a really fabulous non-profit organization, and I went down to be part of a 1.5 day board meeting. I got a few hours of relaxing time at the beach, was part of a big dinner event, and also managed to get an 11-hour sleep the first night I was there! Whew - the trip was worth it just for that!

The organization is called Children of the Nations, and their primary goal is to help orphaned children in African countries. They go into villages, build homes for the orphans, and then schools and medical clinics. Their tagline is "Raising Children who Transform Nations," because they are focused on giving the kids a fabulous childhood, encouraging them into college, so that they can really become leaders for their own nations. Some of their students have become doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc, and then they can really help the villages in which they grew up. I am honored to be part of this great movement, and God is at work in all that they do. It is a Christian organization, so there is a faith component to everything. I really look forward to being part of this! Find out more at www.cotni.org

Thanks also to Greg and Grandma Judy for holding down the fort while I had such a nice time being part of something big. I often feel like being a stay-at-home mom makes one's world seem smaller, and so I look forward to having Children of the Nations keep my focus on the bigger world!

No comments: