My dad's family (the Ericksons) have always had a cabin... My grandpa Ralph had a cabin on Lake Amnicon in WI for decades. Then when our family sold that one, my dad bought a cabin on a lake near Hayward, WI. And well, the one constant over all of those decades was that the old sign in the picture below always hung at the end of the long driveway. So, you can see the old Erickson sign in the second picture below. I actually think my grandpa Ralph made this about 50 years ago... literally. It is rotted and in pretty bad shape. So, I got the idea to make a new one, which I finally just did and mailed to my dad in Minnesota for his 71st birthday (yesterday!).
I took a picture of the old sign on my camera phone last summer, while visiting the cabin. Then Greg helped to take that photo on the computer and make a large image of it, which I then traced onto a big piece of wood. So, the lettering and font are identical to the old sign. Then after a few coats of black and white paint, plus several coats of polyurethane, it was done. It was a fun project, and hopefully this sign will last a few decades, too!!
The new sign!
The old sign. Yes, it really is rotten and moldy-looking like that...
No comments:
Post a Comment